How to Upgrade the Firmware of a Proliant Server with an ISO image of the Latest HP SPP Version 2014.09.0.
NOTE: Before start with the HP SPP Firmware Update is recommended to have the iLO Firmware up2date!!!
Latest HP SPP Version can be found under: HP Service Pack for Proliant (You need to registered to be able to Download the ISO and also, have a Valid Warranty linked to your profile)
First of all, here some Release Notes of HP SPP 2014.09.0 and 2014.06.0 Versions:
Release Summary (Version 2014.09.0):
Important Notes: This release no longer supports Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 This release no longer supports ProLiant G5 and earlier platforms Release Summary: Added new support for the following HP ProLiant servers: HP BL460c Gen9 HP DL380 Gen9 HP DL360 Gen9 HP ML350 Gen9 HP DL180 Gen9 HP DL160 Gen9 HP XL230a Gen9 Added support for new HP ProLiant options Includes VMware driver support Provides operating system support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 and vSphere 5.5 U2 Contains HP Smart Update Manager v7.1.0
Release Summary (Version 2014.06.0):
The SPP was updated to address SSL/TLS MITM Vulnerability CVE-2014-0224 http://www.openssl.org/news/secadv_20140605.txt.
This SPP is intended for use with HP OneView 1.10 and other supported Solutions from HP.
Added support for:
HP FlexFabric 20Gb 2-port 630FLB Adapter
HP FlexFabric 20Gb 2-port 630M Adapter
HP BladeSystem c-Class Virtual Connect Firmware, Ethernet plus 4/8Gb 20-port and 8Gb 24-port FC Edition Component v4.20(b)
HP Smart Update Manager v6.4.1
This is the last SPP release to support G5 generation and earlier servers.
This is the final SPP release that will contain support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. Future SPP releases will not contain support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
You can also find some Old Versions Under: HP Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) - Version Archive
1. Attach the HP SPP 2014.06.0 ISO CD in a Virtual Drive on the Server iLO.
2. Reboot the Server
3. Once the Server boot with the ISO, select the Option "Interactive Firmware Update Version 2014.06.0" or "Automatic Firmware Update Version 2014.06.0"
(In this HOWTO I will show the Steps with the Interactive option)
After that, we will wait the ISO to load and boot:
4. Now we will find ourselves with a screen with 3 Options, and we will Select "Firmware Update"
5. After that, the iso will automatically start to performan Inventory for the whole SPP and also for the node itself:
6. After click "Next", we will see a Summary of the Components to be upgraded on the Server. For example:
Check what it's to be Upgraded and also take note of the versions current and new versions, to control later on after the Upgrade.
7. Once we are sure, we click on "Deploy" and the Firmware will start automatically to be upgraded. For example:
This process can take a while (really a LOOONG while), so be sure that the iLO doesn't hang and please always check the status of the process.
Once the Deployment is finished, our screen will look like:
8. Check the "Deployment Status" of all the Components. If everything is in "Sucess" status, you're good to go and Reboot the Server.
Don't forget to umount the ISO on the iLO!!!
Happy Upgrading! ;)